Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Audrey Moment



Ok. So, forget that I totally alluded to this Audrey/Natalie comparison in a previous
post. And try not to think about the fact that she gets to wear THE dress...one of the three Givenchy created for Audrey to wear in the film Breakfast at Tiffany's (the remaining two are in Madrid's Museum of Costume and in Givenchy's archive). This dress is going to be auctioned off at Christies South Kensington, London on December 5 with proceeds going to charity. It is valued at, oh, somewhere between, oh I don't know....50,000 to 70,000 pounds, but it will probably go for more than that easily. Sadly, I have no where near that money and I don't think Christies does the lay-away thing.


My point, and I do have one, is simple. Been there, done that.


This is me in the spring of 1997. Black column dress with interesting back view? Check. Pearl choker and earrings? Check. Coy over the shoulder look? Check. I was roughly the same age in this photo as Miss Portman is above, give or take a month and I was on my way to the Yale School of Drama's prom. No, I was not chaperoning.

I wonder where the hell that dress is. Damn.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you wear it better than Natalie. But then I'm biased.

Love,

M

Anonymous said...

Gor-Ge Ous! I have that picture somewhere or was it just that you had e-mailed it to me? And...um, what do you mean you don't know where the dress is?? Don't you catalog your clothes like I do my shoes??? GASP!!!

Love you!
ia