Sunday, November 19, 2006

Well played, Shonda Rhimes

It finally happened. After two years of firm resistance, I have caved on the Grey's Anatomy thing. It's true. I'm hooked. I was flipping channels one night and caught an episode recapping everything that had happened up until now and my defenses were down and dammit, I was sobbing by the end of the freaking episode. Now I have to watch the freaking thing. I'm already sitting there watching Ugly Betty, so what's another hour right? Right.

As I said in a previous entry, it took a while for me to get on board, but now that I am all caught up, I am totally on board. The writing is good (good enough to make me cry every damn week) and let's face it, those surgeons are (to quote my friend Peter) the best looking bunch of doctors anyone will ever have working on them. Ronald from Can't Buy Me Love is all nice hair and crinkly smile, Chris O'Donnell (he's gone now, but he might be back) is all wholesome and all-American Chris O'Donnell-y, George (aka the gay one) is like a damn puppy with the sad eyes and the awkwardness around his Latin Lover, Karev is all male modely machismo (although, I don't know that a lot of male models work the machismo as much as they work the androgyny) and then, THEN there is McSteamy (I don't even think I know his regular doctor name). Holy crap is he handsome. I sent one of my gays a picture of McSteamy and received a reply that read, "I am going to dedicate the rest of my life to this man." I was pretty much thrown the first time I saw him, probably because he was in a towel. He's no Dr. Doug Ross (that would be two-time Sexiest Man Alive, George Clooney) but he'll do in a pinch. Maybe it's the graying hair and the smirky snarkiness. Nope, I think it's something else. I think it's the towel.

OK, enough about the man candy, back to my original point, which is that the writing is pretty good. I like I good script, who doesn't? (Considering some of the crap that's out there, I'm going to guess that a lot of people don't like a good script) After a few years of nothing but cartoons (Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad) and "reality" shows (America's Next Top Model is like crack to me, and I'll watch anything with a countdown. I don't know why), it's nice to have something to enjoy that is live action and scripted with some sort of story arc. It's nice to be moved by people acting and reacting to something other than having their entire house overhauled while they were out. I know that it's formulaic and that it's been done before (St. Elsewhere, ER, Chicago Hope and my personal fave Trapper John, MD. Gonzo Gates where are you now?). I even know that it's been done better, but that's ok. I like it, the same way I like two out of three versions of Law & Order (I can't do Criminal Intent. D'Onofrio freaks me out). You know what else I like about it? Everybody isn't white. How refreshing! It's almost like real life, except that, again, these people are above average in the looks department.

So, here I am, a fan of Grey's Anatomy. Congratulations Shonda Rhimes. You won me over with your snappy dialogue and interesting characters. As for Dr. Skinny McTeary, she still bugs me, but there are enough other characters that I find myself caring about to make up for the fact that she's there squinting and doing her little voice overs. Seriously.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FINALLY! Welcome to Seattle! Ok, I thought McSteamy was hot until I saw in the Sexiest Man Alive issue that he's separated at birth with Leo DiCaprio. Leo...yick!

Great show...great writting, if you miss it Thursday night you can always watch Friday at 8 p.m., for those of us who don't have a life. Now, you need to check out Brothers & Sisters, again the skinny chick (Calista) bothers me but it is great writting, with a GORGEOUS cast. It's just not fair that Sally Fields gets better looking with age & Tom Skerrit in his "guest appearance" during flashbacks is AWESOME. This one is written & produced by eveyone at Thirtysomething (Ken Olin & Peter Horton). AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

I was once an loyal fan of Grey's. But to my dismay, lesbians are now running the show. It's raunchy especially some of the lines they have. Whats so fasincating about lesbians? Everyone I work with are also avid fans, but no more. We now decided to turn off Grey's for something more interesting. All my DVD's will be given away or tossed.
Good-by Seattle Grace!