Monday, March 12, 2007

Good Day, Sunshine

I wrote this one while I was waiting for my Chaucer class to start way back in 1993. It was a cold day and then suddenly I had that feeling like spring was on its way. I had that feeling the other day while sitting in my office, so I dug this one up to share.

Tease

I caught a scent of
spring
sneaking up into my nose today
and filling my head with the
promises
that are two months away.

I imagined a breeze wrapping itself around
my bare calves
as the wool of my socks scraped against them.

An imaginary sunbeam
caressed
my face,
breaking up the clouds that had gathered
in front of my eyes for so long.

but then my slice of spring vanished.
I was cold
again.
hidden under the layers of these winter days again.
Trying to get back
but realizing I'll just have to
wait.

spring promises my bare calves caressed again. wait.

Daisy C. Abreu 2/93

No comments: