Sunday, August 26, 2007

On My Own

The thing about living alone for the first time is that it's not as scary as I thought it would be. I actually can't believe that I lived to be thirty-five without ever living completely alone. It helps that I live in a super cute apartment on a street everyone loves (not bragging here, when I tell people where I'm living, they all say "Ohmygod I LOVE that street") and that I know a lot of my neighbors already. It also helps that my friends are super supportive and make sure I have plenty to do (movies, trivia night, dancing, etc) . But the biggest surprise is realizing that I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself. I fixed the bathroom sink the other day, all by myself! Granted, it was a pretty easy thing to fix, but still...I did it. Small victories are key right now, and that was a huge small victory. Maybe I'm going to make it after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While it's hard for me to read this entry--makes me a bit teary--I have to say I'm incredibly proud of you. I had/have no doubt you can take care of yourself. In fact, it's probably high time to do so since you've often sacrificed taking care of yourself in order to take care of others.

M

Anonymous said...

I knew you could! I heard & read that the reason the stewardesses (or attendants) tell you to use the oxygen first before you help someone else is that if you don't you won't be able to help anyone at all. Big lesson, take care of YOU first. Took me almost 47 years to learn that. Like you, I'm a work in progress.
Love you, to the moon...and back.

Tk said...

Nobody's mentioned the Patti LaBelle song yet? (It is Patti LaBelle, right?)