Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Highlight Reel

I'm sure you've had quite enough of top ten lists and best of countdowns, but how can I say hello to 2007 without a proper goodbye to 2006 and all the things that made me laugh, cry and go WTF? Here's my mix for 2006. Some of it's silly, some it's personal, some of it I suddenly remembered while I was sitting here. Indulge me, won't you? (For a complete year in review, you can click on any of the highlighted months in the Way Back When section of the page. That is, if you are so inclined.)

Guilty Pleasure I Cannot Escape (television): No, it's not Grey's Anatomy, it's America's Next Top Model. I know, it's awful, I can't help it. I know none of the girls are going to go on to be the new Kate Moss (who I guess is actually the new Twiggy) or the new Naomi Campbell (don't hit me!). I also know most of them are too old to break into the modeling business (Yes Jade, twenty-six IS too old to be starting out in modeling....just ask TYRA). But dammit, I love these girls for trying and for scratching and clawing all over each other to get that photo shoot with renowned fashion photographer Gilles Bensimon, that cover girl lobotomy, I mean contract (those of you who have seen the "my life as a cover girl" ads knows these girls get, shall we say, toned down in the personality department once they win), and that modeling contract. I also love to watch them act surprised when they receive their makeovers. Did you really think they were going to let you model with that tired weave in your hair? Tyra needs to make at least one of you look like Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby, dammit! Do as Tyra says or you will no longer be in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model.

Pinching Myself Moment of 2006: The Glamour Luncheon. Holy Crap, I still cannot believe that happened to me. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can read about it here. Crazy.

Best Hug I Got all Year: Sharon Olds. Another totally holy crap moment. I still get teary when I think about it. She is a goddess, don't let anyone tell you differently.

Divine Intervention Moment: I get tickets to my very first game at Yankee Stadium for the same night that my brother and sister have tickets? What are the odds? Well, if you knew my Dad, then you know the odds were definitely in our favor.

A film so good I paid full price TWICE: Little Miss Sunshine. Brilliant cast (Alan Arkin gets you the minute he walks in the room and Abigail Breslin is adorable without being creepy or cloying), great story and a final act that is slightly reminiscent of Best in Show, only instead of dogs, it's pre-pubescent beauty queens. I haven't laughed that hard at a movie in long time. Who knew Nietzsche could be so funny?
Song that's still stuck in my head: I was going to go with Nelly Furtado's Promiscuous because it has a hypnotic beat that is reminiscent of my high school dances (you know, like Stevie B or TKA). Well, I'm sorry Nelly, but you were ousted by Justin Timberlake. Yes, he brought SexyBack, but that's not what's stuck. It's D**k in a Box , the SNL digital short and not only is it damn funny, it's a good song. It might just be the best slow jam of 2006. Somewhere, Color Me Badd is going, "Are we back?"
Website I'm Obsessed with: FourFour. It's hard to describe how I feel about this one. OK, I'll try. Let's say today was not my best day at work, I was feeling blah. I come home, sit at the computer, go to FourFour, click on the movie of Rich's cats (Winston and Rudy) wrestling and proceed to laugh my ass off. Once I have recovered from said laughing off of ass, I begin to read the comments left by Rich's equally hilarious friends. Again, I am laughing off my ass. My point is, not only is he funny, the people who comment are funny. And no one, NO ONE does a Top Model recap like this guy. It's like he's in my head when I'm watching it. He's dead on every time, from the crying count to the Tyraisms. Brilliant.
Best Way to Make the Most of Insomnia: Bill Bryson travel books. I love the way Bryson writes. I've never taken a huge cross country trip, and I've certainly never driven across Australia, but Bryson has and he writes about it beautifully and with a sense of humor that is a mixture of curmudgeonly disgruntlement and a genuine sense of "what the hell is going on here?" He won't tell you every place is nice and scenic and full of friendly people. In fact, he'll tell you which places are downright boring and should be avoided at all costs. And yet, you never get the sense that he's being mean, just honest and a wee bit cranky. If you haven't read his books, well, go get one as soon as your done with this. It will make you laugh and it will make you want to see the world.
Fairy Godmother Moment: Wicked on Broadway. Seeing my niece's face when we told her she was getting a backstage tour? Priceless.
Best Live Performance by a Live-in Boyfriend: ML at his CD release party. It was a long road, but the new CD, This Strange Place, was finally completed. Kudos to ML for seeing it through and thanks to all who helped make it possible. We celebrated with a CD release at Books & Co. A full house got to hear my man play some balls out rock and roll on the electric guitar backed by his backing band, the Evolving Souls. YEAH!
And finally....

Best Live Performance by a Newsman: This one's for Drew. How many men do you know who are so excited to be married that they rush the stage, swipe the mic from the lead singer of the wedding band and rock out to Play that Funky Music? The minute he jumped up on the stage, the flashbulbs starting popping. As you can see, he's got the moves. Clearly he should be behind the anchor desk. Good times. Love ya, Drew!
So, here's to a more kookiness, more laughter and more writing in 2007. A happy and healthy one to you all.

No comments: